Fat transfer removes fat using Liposuction from areas of the body that have an excess such as the abdomen, buttocks or thighs. The fat is then injected to another area of the body to restore volume or to smooth wrinkles. There are many advantages with this technique: it is safe and it lasts a long time and it is effective filler that can be used for a number of different procedures.
In this procedure which is usually performed as a day case under local anaesthetic, small incisions are made, not only to remove the fat with liposuction, but also to re-inject the fat into the graft area. After surgery you will be prescribed a course of antibiotics. You may also be advised to take a mild painkiller if you experience any discomfort. There will be some bruising and swelling which may last for a week or so. Strenuous exercise should be avoided for two weeks but you may return to work after a couple of days. The stitches will be removed after five to seven days.
The chances of long-term survival of the fat cells are much better if very small amounts are put in at a time. Therefore, multiple sessions are usually needed to achieve the best result.
What is fat transfer surgery?
Fat transfer surgery involves a dual procedure. Through liposuction fat is extracted or sucked out of areas of the body where fat is in excess and the extracted fat is injected to other areas as natural filler. As a result of ageing, the volume reduces and skin starts to sag, causing changes in appearance. Fat transfer surgery helps to sort out this problem.
Different fat transfer surgery
Fat transfer surgery is targeted to offer relief in many ways, as outlined here:
- Injection of processed fat in face to smooth out fine wrinkles
- Injection of fat in face to add volume
- Injection of fat in buttocks to add volume and firm the face, breasts or buttocks
- Injection of fat to reshape and re-contour an area of concern
Why & who should consider fat transfer surgery?
The ideal beneficiaries of fat transfer surgery are individuals who have lost volume in various parts of the body due to the natural process of ageing or individuals who require intervention to set right a defect in appearance due to one of many reasons. Many individuals also resort to this procedure to smooth out fine wrinkles. When volume fills the underlying area, the wrinkles automatically get smoothened.
Benefits of fat transfer surgery
Fat transfer surgery offers many benefits to individuals some of which are outlined below:
- Removal of fat from areas where excess fat is observed
- Filling of areas of the face and body that appear sagging or sunken due to ageing
- Smoothing out the fine wrinkles and lines on the face through fat transfer surgery
- Natural fillers ensure that the grafted area does not exhibit any reactions that may be seen with other fillers
- Long lasting when the procedure is performed over multiple sessions
After the treatment & Recovery time
On conclusion of fat transfer surgery you need to be prepared for the following:
- Bruising and swelling in the graft area that may last for a week or more
- Numbness in the area where the grafts or incisions were made
- Small scars where the incisions were made, which should fade over time
- The fat in the injected area may sometimes be absorbed into the blood stream during the first few months
After six months you can expect to see the full effects of fat transfer surgery
Our price for Fat Transfer is dependent on which area you would like fat deposited to and is dependent on consulation.
The procedure is usually performed under a general anaesthetic at our specialist clinic and usually involves a one night stay in hospital.
This cost includes all your consultations before surgery and unlimited appointments following your procedure.
For a consultation please complete our contact form or telephone 0800 001 6688